For those patients who have white spots (white spot lesions) on their front teeth, there’s a new conservative treatment that helps eliminate or minimize their appearance. It’s called “Icon Smooth Surface” made by DMG. The process is pretty simple.
1. A dentist paints an etching solution on the white spots and lets it stay on there for 2 minutes and then rinsed off for 30 seconds.
2. Apply ethanol, to dry the tooth. If the white spots decrease significantly, then the dentist will move on to step three. If the dentist doesn’t see much improvement, they can etch the tooth another two times.
3. In step three, the dentist applies the Icon Infiltrate for a full three minutes. The dentist needs to continue to paint the area, so that the solution stays wet.
4. After the three minutes, the teeth are flossed, in case some of the solution spread between the teeth.
5. A curing light is applied to all of the affected tooth surfaces for 40 seconds
6. The teeth are now polished like a composite restoration, to match the tooth surface planes.
If this treatment does not fully remove the white spots adequately, a patient can opt for physical removal of the white spot with a rotary bur and then the lesion is filled in with composite resin. One of the benefits of this new treatment is that it’s more conservative than physically removing the white spot. This new white spot treatment requires less enamel removal, to treat any resistant white spots because in most cases the teeth spots are minimized. This keeps more of the teeth’s material intact, which is naturally better for the long term health of the tooth.